1. Computing

Juergen Haas

Installing and Running Ubuntu Linux inside Windows XP with VirtualBox

By February 22, 2009

If you like to retain Microsoft Windows as your primary operating system and have the ability to switch to Linux anytime without rebooting your machine, you have the option to use VirtualBox. This software allows you to install and run another operating system, such as Ubuntu Linux in MS Windows.

Running two operating systems simultaneously obviously requires more computing resources, but it provides a convenient way to run Windows and Linux software at the same time on one machine. This setup can also be used to try out Linux without making the commitment of repartitioning the hard disk and installing a dual boot system. VirtualBox can be installed and uninstalled like any other Windows software. Read more...

Comments
February 26, 2009 at 3:22 pm
(1) Edward says:

I use both, Ubuntu in WinXP with VirtualBox and a dual-boot partition. I have seen the benefits of both and am quite impressed with what I have been able to accomplish with the VM install. I do want to mention that I have tried to install Ubuntu in MS Virtual PC and have not been able to install without difficulty, but with Sun’s VirtualBox there was no problem. The same when I went the other way, trying to install Windows in Sun’s VirtualBox – difficulties with Virtualbox, but none with MS Virtual PC. In my summation, use MS’s Virtual for Windows OS’ and Sun’s Virtual for Linux OS’ (the jury is still out on installing other OS’).

February 27, 2009 at 6:36 am
(2) Johnnie L. Smith says:

how do I uninstall mandriva from my computer. When I boot my computer it givem me the option of Linux or Windows. I would like to remove Linux from my computer. Can anybody tell me how to do it.
Johnnie L Smith
johnniel@ji-net.com

February 27, 2009 at 3:45 pm
(3) Chris Bayley says:

This article is rather the wrong way round. In ‘About Linux’ this article should talk about running VirtualBox on an Ubuntu host system and keeping windows where is belongs – safely quarantined in a box!
VBox by the way is an incredible gift to the computing community – it beats hands down every experience I have had with any other virtualization system in terms of utility, ease of deployment and performance and it’s FREE. Recently I used VBox to host WinXP on a Debian host. The XP guest boots to desktop in 4s !!! Now I start whole windows desktop sessions as if they where notepad or bash!!

January 2, 2013 at 1:44 pm
(4) Cris says:

You suggested making your storage at the suggested 8GB but I don’t really understand this, I was trying to run Linux on Windows XP for using some Linux-only CFD programs, but it seemed like everytime I went to extract the source files, (16GB for one) it said that the download couldn’t finish because there wasn’t enough space. So I ramped up the storage to 190GB and am hoping this solves the issue. Am I gonna screw my computer?

February 28, 2013 at 11:10 pm
(5) Rooshabh Kothari says:

Installing and Running Linux inside Windows XP with VirtualBox.

Which operating system kernel takes decision for resources?

It is based on which fundamental concept of operating system.

April 24, 2013 at 9:18 pm
(6) Ex Back Experts review says:

Asking questions are in fact fastidious thing if you
are not understanding anything fully, however this post presents nice understanding even.

May 19, 2013 at 11:43 am
(7) Kristi says:

I read this post fully on the topic of the resemblance of most up-to-date
and earlier technologies, it’s remarkable article.

June 30, 2013 at 9:59 pm
(8) Download PC Games says:

Hello there, You’ve done an excellent job. I’ll definitely digg it and personally suggest
to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this website.

February 6, 2014 at 5:50 am
(9) linux says:

It’s hard to come by experienced people about this subject,
but you seem like you know what you’re talking about!

Thanks