|Linux / Unix Command: echo|
NAMEecho - display a line of text
SYNOPSISecho [OPTION]... [STRING]...
DESCRIPTIONNOTE: your shell may have its own version of echo which will supercede the version described here. Please refer to your shell's documentation for details about the options it supports.
Echo the STRING(s) to standard output.
- do not output the trailing newline
- enable interpretation of the backslash-escaped characters listed below
- disable interpretation of those sequences in STRINGs
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
Without -E, the following sequences are recognized and interpolated:
- the character whose ASCII code is NNN (octal)
- alert (BEL)
- suppress trailing newline
- form feed
- new line
- carriage return
- horizontal tab
- vertical tab
SEE ALSOThe full documentation for echo is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and echo programs are properly installed at your site, the command
- info echo
should give you access to the complete manual.
Important: Use the man command (% man) to see how a command is used on your particular computer.