|Linux / Unix Command: md5sum|
NAMEmd5sum - compute and check MD5 message digest
SYNOPSISmd5sum [OPTION] [FILE]...
md5sum [OPTION] --check [FILE]
Print or check MD5 (128-bit) checksums. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.
- -b, --binary
- read files in binary mode (default on DOS/Windows)
- -c, --check
- check MD5 sums against given list
- -t, --text
- read files in text mode (default)
The following two options are useful only when verifying checksums:
- don't output anything, status code shows success
- -w, --warn
- warn about improperly formated checksum lines
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
The sums are computed as described in RFC 1321. When checking, the input should be a former output of this program. The default mode is to print a line with checksum, a character indicating type (`*' for binary, ` ' for text), and name for each FILE.
SEE ALSOThe full documentation for md5sum is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and md5sum programs are properly installed at your site, the command
- info md5sum
should give you access to the complete manual.
Important: Use the man command (% man) to see how a command is used on your particular computer.