Chapter 11. Managing user accounts
- Table of Contents
- 11.1. What's an account?
- 11.2. Creating a user
- 11.2.1. Picking numeric user and group ids
- 11.2.2. Picking numeric user and group ids
- 11.2.3. Creating a user by hand
- 11.2.4. Creating a user by hand
- 11.3. Changing user properties
- 11.4. Removing a user
- 11.5. Disabling a user temporarily
"The similarities of sysadmins and drug dealers: both measure stuff in Ks, and both have users." (Old, tired computer joke.)
This chapter explains how to create new user accounts, how to modify the properties of those accounts, and how to remove the accounts. Different Linux systems have different tools for doing this.